Sights & Landmarks in Pacov
Abbey Church of St. Wenceslas
A Baroque abbey church built in 1719 by the architect and Carmelite monk Martin Wittwer. Having been destroyed along with the monastery by the great fire of 1727 it was later rebuilt and ceremonially consecrated in 1732. After the monastery’s dissolution in 1787 it was never used for religious purposes, playing the role of a state room and storage space until it was acquired 160 years later by the Czechoslovak Hussite Church (1947–1974). The Myslík coat of arms shares the church façade with the Baroque statues of St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross, St. Wenceslas (mid-façade), and Sts. Joachim and Anne. Uppermost you can see the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus surrounded by kneeling angels. The church underwent a complete reconstruction from 1979 to 1994. A municipal property stripped of its former furnishings, it is now open to the public as a gallery during summer holidays only.
St. Michael the Archangel’s Deanery Church
St. Michael’s Church grew out of the 13th century Gothic roots, its present-day appearance being mainly the result of a late-14th century rebuilding when the original flat-ceilinged interior was split into a double-nave church centered around and supported by an octagonal pillar and the corner tower’s hip. The original vaulting can still be seen delineated on the tower wall. The church was shared by the Catholics and Calixtines alike as documented by the foundation and endowment of the Corpus Christi Chapel or the unique raised carvings on outer buttresses supporting the south wall. The carved plaques depicting human figures with chalices and crosses, St. Wenceslas, the then ruling Malovec family coat of arms, and various craftsmen and builders, date from the 15th century. An organ loft followed by a sacristy and antechamber was added in the 16th century. The church was rebuilt after suffering fire damage in 1727. Church tower also burned down in 1744 to be eventually restored in 1876 when a new storey was built and a clockwork installed. In the 16th century the organ loft was decorated with scenes from the Old and New Testaments. The church mobiliary dates mainly from the Baroque period. The Hron tombstone from c. the 1300s and the 1666 wooden memorial tablet of Sigismund Myslík of Hyršov are both historically significant. A general remodelling took place in 1907–1909. The south wall was later panelled with the Renaissance and 16–18th century tombstones that were most likely removed from the church floor. A walled churchyard with a separate entrance surrounded the church until as late as the mid-19th century. Recently the church underwent another renovation in 1997 when the original Gothic illusive bossage was rendered in the plasterwork of the sanctuary.
An urban heritage area was established in Pacov in 1990. Medieval in origin, it includes many architectural and cultural monuments seamlessly merging with the nearby buildings. The heritage area wholly encompasses the town centre and surrounds along with the château, castle park, and the former suburbs.
Historical buildings in the main square: The heritage area includes the 1921–1923 town hall (house No 320) adjoined by the initially Neo-Renaissance 1881 school building (house No 321). An ex-Baroque parsonage (house No 2), built as a so-called Lower Manor in the early 17th century and subsequently Neo-Gothicized in the 19th century, stands on the north side of the square.
A war memorial by K. Gabriel can be seen behind the church in the upper half of the square.
Statue of St. Wenceslas on the main square
A counterpose sandstone sculpture of St. Wenceslas holding a banner in his right hand and an embossed shield in the other. The four sides of the plinth are decorated with raised carvings of the Czech patron saints, namely Sts. Ludmila, Agnes, Procopius, and Adalbert. Sculpted in 1904–1905 by Zdeněk Vondráček, the statue was donated by Dr. iur. Antonín Třeský in 1906. The sculpture was restored in 2012 by MgA. Jan Vodáček.
St. Anne Chapel
A 1701–1703 Baroque building owing its current appearance to a late-18th century remodelling. Its octagonal external layout belies a circular interior floor plan. Inside you can see a Rococo altar and several ceiling murals including a view of the town. The chapel was built above a miraculous healing spring which apparently used to feed a neighbouring spa. The plasterwork and roofing were renovated in 1989. The sundial was created by Pacov-born artist Petr Hampl.
St. Barbara Funeral Chapel
An originally octagonal chapel rebuilt and considerably expanded by countess Johanna Barbora Eusebie Sahrer von Sahr in 1681–1682. The Baroque high altar depicts St. Barbara. The original furnishings include a pulpit and church organ. The 1818–1840 tombstones can be seen outside by the north wall. The exterior renovation was completed in 1998.
Baroque farmhouses in Spálená St
Spálená (Burnt) Street is a major feature of the Pacov heritage area that includes several listed examples of historically significant vernacular architecture. The façades of farmhouses located in this almost suburban street are decorated with Baroque gables and Neoclassical frontispieces.
The abundance of serene greenery makes the castle park and Antonín Sova Park the best places for strolling and rest. The latter features a monument containing the poet’s ashes that was erected in 1934 while a low-branching memorial hornbeam – 9yd high with a girth of over 35yd – estimated to be about 170 years old can be seen in the former.
1939–1945 POW Military Cemetery
After the WWII was near Pacov established POW camp (supposedly for 40 000 prisoners). The final resting place of 284 WWII German soldiers most of which succumbed to a typhoid epidemic. Situated on the outskirts of town by the road to Eš.
The 15th Meridian
The 15th meridian east – also known as the primary axis of Central European Time – goes right through Pacov so the local time is fully congruent to the Central European time zone. The 15th degree of eastern longitude connects the cemetery with Za Branou residential area.
Bike racing in Pacov
In 1906 Pacov hosted the first international motorcycle race in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Vintage Bike Championship now takes place in Pacov every year on the 3rd weekend in June. During spring the FIM Motocross Grand Prix of the Czech Republic is held at the Propad Circuit.
Stražiště Hill spring-water dispenser
At the Hronova St marketplace there is a spring-water dispenser serviced by the local authorities. The Stražiště Hill spring water meets the strictest hygienic criteria.