Initially constructed as a castle in the 13th century and rebuilt in the 16th century as a château by the Robmháp family of Suchá.
Notable owners include the imperial field marshal and martial councillor Sigismund Myslík of Hyršov and the Španovský family of Lisov. The Discalced Carmelites, who came to Pacov in 1708, started converting the palace into a monastery and the Abbey Church of St. Wenceslas in 1718. The famous architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer designed plans for further development in 1739. The building was ultimately reconstituted as a manor house after the monastery’s dissolution by Joseph II in 1787, its square layout being broken in 1884 when the east wing was torn down. In the 1860s the château housed a grammar school and teacher’s quarters where the poet Antonín Sova was born on February 26, 1864, as a son of the local schoolmaster Jan Sova. Sova’s birth is now commemorated by a JV Dušek monument on top of the ramparts. The Weiss von Tessbach family owned the château until May 1945 when it was appropriated by state authorities. From 1947 to 1992 it was occupied by the Czechoslovakian People’s Army. The château’s ongoing renovation started in 1997 when it once again became municipal property.
Today it houses the town council, Antonín Sova History Museum, public library, and Tourist Information Centre.